Friday, August 29, 2014

Going "Out of Our Minds"

I decided to start the school year with one of my favorite books - Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper.  The book tells the story of eleven year old Melody Brooks.  Melody has a photographic memory and is by all definitions a genius.  However, no one knows this - not even her parents.  Melody has cerebral palsy.  She can not speak or control her body movements.  Melody is trapped inside her own body with no way to communicate what she knows or how she truly feels.  This is making her go "out of her mind"- until she discovers something that will giver her a voice and allow her to finally "speak" to the world.

Sharon Draper has masterfully used figurative language, real life situations and heart-tugging events to draw the reader into Melody's life.  My students have quickly rallied to Melody's side and have gotten angry at doctors, teachers, and children who discount Melody because of her physical disabilities.  I hope hearing this story from Melody's point of view will help them become the kind of people who do not quickly jump to conclusions based on appearances.  I am so incredibly proud of how the children defend Melody in times of injustice.  We have been choked up together, laughed together and been furious together.

I want to share my love of reading with my students.  I want them to realize that reading can take them places that they may never be able to visit physically.  I want them to understand various points of view and differing circumstances.  I want to show them that reading can be fun and exciting, but also show them how important proficient reading is to real life.

I am thoroughly enjoying my classes this year.  It still seems like we have been in a whirlwind, but the kids are so eager and seem so hungry to learn, that it makes me eager to be here with them.  I hope this continues.  Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment