Monday, September 7, 2015

Filling in the "Holes"

Well, I hope your child has enjoyed our introductory novel Holes.  It is absolutely one of my favorites.  I almost didn't include it in my curriculum this year, but just couldn't part with it!

So far, the year has been going very well.  Students are getting used to the groove of things and becoming more responsible about their actions.  I am enjoying this group of kids very much.

This week we will begin our new novel study.  We are going to read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  Again, this is another of my favorites.  In Holes, I read the story to the students as they followed along.  I stopped to have discussion along the way and check for comprehension.  I was basically the "sage on the stage".  This novel will be different.  I am going to step back on the reading part.  Students will be reading the majority of this novel on their own in class.  My job now is more of a guide.  I plan to stop occasionally to make sure everyone is on the same path.  We will have class discussions and do activities together, but students will be required to read this text on their own.

This week, students will also be assigned their first independent project.  This project is due at the end of the nine weeks on October 9.  Students will have exactly one month to complete this project.  They are required to work on this project at home.  Time management and organization will be a key component in completing this activity on time.  I will help students create some goals and deadlines so that they stay on track.  You will be receiving a copy of the project requirements as well as all the required handouts.  It will also be located on this blog under the "project" link.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

You should also receive a book order catalog this week.  You can order by check (Please make to SCHOLASTIC), cash, or online at Scholastic.com (class code HWMQW ).  You will only need this class code the first time you set up your child's account.  From that point forward, you should be able to use your personal username and password.

Until next time...happy reading-
Mrs. Tipton

No comments:

Post a Comment