Monday, January 11, 2016

Transitioning into the Future

For years, I have thought, "Why can't I just make my classroom more like a living room?"  "I hate all these desks!"  I've always been that way.  Even as a student - way back in the 80's and 90's - I hated sitting in the traditional desk especially in straight rows! (That is why in 18 years of teaching, I have NEVER had straight rows of desks!!!)  I always try to make my room look as homey as possible.  I like cozy and comfortable.  And then I began thinking - "When I read, I don't sit at my desk at home; I sit in my big comfy chair or I lounge on the couch."  This has been stewing in my head since I was hired to teach 5th grade 5 years ago.  What would it be like if kids could choose where they sat - at a desk, on the couch, in the floor...you get the drift.

As an avid Pinterest pinner, I came across an article about a teacher who changed her room after a day in Starbucks (really, a coffeehouse was her inspiration-this was fate!).  She created a classroom with alternative seating.  Here is a link to the article if you are interested in reading it.Why the 21st Century Classroom May Remind You of Starbucks  In this article she addresses how she went about changing the seating in her class.  This is a second grade teacher, mind you.  If second graders can do it, SO CAN MY 5th GRADERS!!!  As I went back and forth with how to make this transition (well, really I was and still am trying to figure out how to purchase all the beanbags, pillows, bathmats, etc.) I saw that a high school acquaintance had also changed her room to an alternative seating environment.  She also teaches 5th grade.   I am adding some pictures of her classroom to give you an idea of what it looks like. As you can see from the pictures below, students are engaged.  They are working!  And according to my friend, they love coming to class.




Needless to say...THIS IS HAPPENING!!!  I already have a coffeehouse themed classroom, now I just need to create the atmosphere.  "How can I help?" you ask. I am so glad that you did...Well, if you have any beanbags, throw pillows, or furniture that you want to get rid of, instead of taking them to Goodwill - BRING THEM TO ME!!!!  You can donate any of that stuff to my classroom and I will gladly begin this transition.  If you know of any grants or funds that I might apply for in order to purchase furniture for this transition, please let me know.  Again, this is happening.  How long it takes me to transition depends on how long it takes me to furnish the room, but I plan to start right away.  My classroom will be even more inviting and allow for a more engaged set of learners.  I am SOOOO excited I can hardly stand it!!!

Okay....enough of my excitement over the change in my set up...now to the nitty gritty.  We have begun book clubs.  Let me explain how these book clubs will work.  Each club will meet with me one day a week (the exception is Wednesday because we go to library).  On a student's book club day, they will meet in a small group for 30 minutes with me.  We will work on skills specific to that group's needs, learn new vocabulary, and discuss the book we are reading.  On the days that students are not in small group, they will be working in literacy work stations.  Some of the activities in work stations will be independent review and practice.  Some activities will require collaboration with their peers.  Each book club has been set up heterogeneously by ability and reading level.  I have high readers and low readers in the same group.  This is for two reasons:  1.) No one is able to say, "OH, we are the bad readers." or "We are all the good readers."  2.) Stronger students are able to tutor or help weaker students while I work with the group.  Research has shown that collaboration among peers helps students strengthen their skills.  It is good for everyone involved.
Since students have a week to read their book club text and complete any assignments for that text, I will have HIGH expectations that they will come to class prepared.  I won't be very tolerant of excuses.  I have told the kids as much.  None of this should create much (if any) extra work at home.  Students should be using their work station time wisely to get their assignments completed.  As always, thank you for the support that you have shown.  If you have any questions about the change in our class, please email me.  christy.tipton@viloniaschools.org

Happy Reading-
Mrs. Tipton

No comments:

Post a Comment